November 12, 2007

It's not so hard...

The Washington Post today (11/12) had a great article on foreign-owned companies operating in the DC area. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/11/AR2007111101177.html)

This proves the point I have been making to my students and the SPJ that you can do a local story with an important international angle.

It would be nice if the Post could continue doing these kinds of stories, especially ones that discuss the social, political and economic situation in the home countries of these companies. But I don't think that is too likely to happen on a regular basis. (I will still depend on the NY Times to give me that info.)

But at least we do know that a local reporter using local information can show how the rest of the world is intimately involved in the everyday lives of people in this area.

No comments: