The Virginia page URL is:
Some quick stats:
- About 15 percent of all manufacturing jobs in Virginia depend on exports
- Almost 4,500 companies export goods from Virginia
- A bit more than 3,700 of those companies have fewer than 500 employees.
- Foreign investment in Virginia was responsible for 4.5 percent of the state’s total private-industry employment in 2005
Of Virginia's 30 top markets, exports to Portugal grew the fastest over the 2002-2006 period, increasing from $35 million to $202 million (up 484 percent). Other fast-growing major markets included Singapore (up 456 percent), India (up 181 percent), China (up 156 percent), and Colombia (up 128 percent).
So I ask:
- Where are the stories about the Portuguese, Singapore and Colombian economies and societies?
- What changed in these countries (and the others) that prompted more purchases from Virginia?
- Or what changed in Virginia exports that led to more sales to these countries?